Author Topic: HOW TO MAKE A NETWORK OF TUBES BY CLONING THE MASTER SITE  (Read 1606 times)

Offline darkorns

• View Profile
HOW TO MAKE A NETWORK OF TUBES BY CLONING THE MASTER SITE
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:21:56 AM »
Since I've got some useful info on this forum, this is my contribution:

HOW TO MAKE A NETWORK OF TUBES BY CLONING THE MASTER SITE?

This is done on TubeX with unlimited licenses, not sure if it would work otherwise. The key is to use the database of the master tube when installing the clone site. You manage everything except the template from the master site, even banners, sponsors etc.
At one point I had a single master tube controlling a network of 60 tubes. I prefer to keep them all on the same server.

Here is what you need to do:
1. You need to install a master site as you would do a normal installation. Write down you database name, username and password as you would use the same info for all clone sites.

2. Create a unique username and password (let's call it a master account) and set it as a Super User. Logout an login with the new username, go back to Settings/Administrators/Search Admin. and delete the user with the name admin that is created automatically during the install. From now on you will use your custom username and password.

3. On a second domain install a first cloned tubex, during installation use the same database info as on master installation. Finish the installation like you would do following the install procedure, including setting cron tasks on clone domain etc.

4. Logout and login with the master account - the username you created on the master tube. Because tubex is using the same database, this username is already set.

5. Go to Settings/Administrators/Search Admin. and delete the user with the name administrator that is created automatically during the install. You need to do this to free up this automatically created user for the next clone installation to avoid confusion.

6. I recommend to make all the settings in General Settings the same, except for the domain name, site name, description, email etc. (first three sections) - all the technical stuff below should remain the same as on master site and kept the same in the future. Tubex lacks the multiple site administration, so any settings you change on master site, you need to repeat on clone site.

7. Inside the admin area, you will notice there are no thumbnails but everything else is like on the master administration. You now need to add two lines on the .htaccess file in the root of your clone installation, download .htaccess via ftp, use some editor like Notepad++ to open it, if you use regular Notepad, it may not work, you need a program to save it back as a linux file.
Add the following two lines below "RewriteEngine On"
Code: [Select]
  RewriteRule ^videos/(.+\.(jpe?g|gif|png|flv|mp4|wmv|mpg|mpeg|mov|avi|f4v|rm|ts|m2t))$ http://www.yourdomain.com/videos/$1 [R=302,L]

RewriteRule ^uploads/(.+\.(jpe?g|gif|png|swf))$ http://www.yourdomain.com/uploads/$1 [R=302,L]
Replace yourdomain with a domain name of the master tube site.
This is required for directories "videos" and "uploads" to redirect all requests for images and videos to matching directories on the master tube site. Since your clone sites are probably on the same hosting, there will be no delay when loading images and videos at all. Please note, the redirection is only valid for these 2 directories.

8. If you allow users to upload videos on master site, disable this option on clone sites otherwise the uploaded video will be stored in "uploads" directory of the clone site. This it the same for "change avatar" function. You need to edit your upload-disabled.tpl and user-avatar.tpl on clone template to explain users that they need to go to the main site to login there and upload their video or change avatar. Other members functions work properly.
Example, my upload-disabled.tpl looks like this:
{template file="global-header.tpl" title="_Text:Upload a Video"}

<div class="main-content page-content" style="padding-top: 30px;">
      <span class="section-whole">

<div class="message-error">
          Please proceed to our main website to upload your video:
<a href="http://www.gaybizarre.com/">GayBizarre.com</a>
        </div>
<p>Once there, you may need to login again with your current username and
password. </p>
<p> When approved, your video will be visible on all sites within GayBizarre network</p>
      </span>
    </div>

{template file="global-footer.tpl"}

...and my user-avatar.tpl looks like this:
{template file="global-header.tpl"}

<div class="main-content page-content" style="padding-top: 30px;">
      <span class="section-whole">

<div class="message-error">
          Please proceed to our main website to upload or change your avatar image:
<a href="http://www.gaybizarre.com/">GayBizarre.com</a>
        </div>
<p> Once there, you may need to login again with your current username and
password. </p>
<p>Your avatar image will be updated on all sites within our network</p>
      </span>
    </div>

{template file="global-footer.tpl"}

9. You may now customize template of the clone site as you wish, remember all the template files like css, interface images, background are served from the clone site, just the video thumbnails, videos and banners are served from the main site. When customizing a template, you should always recompile the template from within the clone tubex administration. Basically, once you've satisfied with the clone site's layout, you don't need to enter clone site admin at all.
If you change something on clone's template in the future, you just need to remember to recompile it from the clone admin. You could manage videos and stuff from the clone site but, as a precaution, do not change anything from the clone admin even if it would work. Manage day-to-day operations from the master site's admin.
Also, don't forget to change global-header.tpl and global-footer.tpl for stuff to match your clone site such as google analytics code, meta tags etc.
I even keep some critical .tpl files the same such as video-watch.tpl just to make sure it is working on all sites. If I make change in the master template and want to propagate them I copy those changes carefully to the clone templates by openning two tpl files and copy/paste manually the altered segment, then I upload changed tpl files for each site and then enter each site's admin to recompile it's template. You can also clear the template cache while there.

10. You can make some changes to get more SEO friendly clone sites.
What can you do?
- Control which site shows videos from which category.
For example: my site gaybizarre.com is a master site, my other site dirtygayflix.com is the mirror site with the same categories, but my other clone, tiedupguys.com shows only videos from BDSM category and doesn't show links to other categories unless visitors know how to get them by url.
This is done by changing how script lists videos - change any instance of {videos}{foreach}{/foreach} segment within a template to include filter by category, here is my example:
{videos
          var=$videos
          amount=15
          featured=false
          category=2
          sort=week_num_views DESC}
Start with index.tpl, then change it in videos-browse.tpl, videos-newest.tpl etc.
In fact you can diversify your clone sites by changing any variable in this segment such as "featured" "sponsor" etc. See in documentation what this "video" variable does and play with the options. You can make a very different clone sites!
- Control which site shows which banners
Do this by using tags (leave the zones the same) and then filter the banner variable to show only banners of a particular tag
Example:
{banner zone="hardlinks" tags="clonesite1" sort=RAND()}
- Change clone site's template to show more or less information
For example clone1 can show only video title under the thumbnail, clone2 shows title and description, clone3 shows title, description, rating and tags
It only matters what search engines see. The more different your clone sites look like, the more likely search engines will consider them a separate entities.
- Change the layout of the sections
Move segments up or down, change number of thumbs in a segment, change placement of the banners, change where and how much tags are in the tag cloud etc.
I've gone so far that the only thing I never changed is the size of the thumbnails.

11. Repeat steps 3-10 for every new clone site.

I think this is basically all there is to say, if you need help, you can reply to this thread, I'll find time to answer.

Regards,

Darko R.

PS: If you get stuck with these, let me know, I may be able to build network of sites for you.

Unofficial JMB Support Forums

HOW TO MAKE A NETWORK OF TUBES BY CLONING THE MASTER SITE
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:21:56 AM »

Tags: